Maestro Javier Alvarez took him on journey of learning through classical and
modern idioms, from the chiaroscuro to abstract expressionism, using different
media: oil, acrylic, pastel, charcoal, watercolors.
You can trace some of these explorations in the Archives section of this website.
The teacher-student relationship soon developed into friendship, and to this day Maestro Alvarez remains a "lighthouse of art" for Paolo.
Maestro Alvarez's approach to art is based on his conviction that, "I can teach you how to paint, but I can't teach you to paint: that is your personal engagement in art!"
In 2006 Paolo moves to Trieste, Italy, where he studied with various local artists.
An abstract painting from this period based on a view of the gulf of Trieste from Molo Audace become the cover of a book on the philosophy of Jacques Derrida in 2012.
In 2010 Paolo moved to New York to study at the Art Student League,
to which he was admitted as a full member 2011.
At the League Paolo has worked with a range of artists always with a view to exploring
different avenues of creativity and consolidating his own personal style:
Mary Beth McKenzie, Terence Coyle, Costa Vavagiakis, Gary Sussman, Frank O'Cain, Bruce Dorfman are some of the artists Paolo have been studying with.
Recognition for Paolo's art came from his earliest days at the League: on a number of occasions he has been awarded the jury's "Blue Dot" - for highly commended work - in class shows. He also received the Ruth Katzman Scholarship for the Artist-in-Residency Program at the League's Vytlacil Campus for 2012.
Most recently, Paolo's journey of artistic exploration has led him to study mixed media with Bruce Dorfman.
In so doing, Paolo's aim is to investigate the creation of pictorial space using the four key components of color, value, intensity and texture.
Any one of these components might be assigned priority in a given work.
In this most recent phase, Paolo's paintings become assemblages, where the canvas edges are often "broken" by different elements. Some of these works have a sculptural feeling, reminiscent of bas-relief.
Despite the undeniably contemporary nature of these works, they preserve the classical elements of lines, planes, etching and cross-etching, albeit using a range of materials that includes unconventional elements such as copper and burlap.
Glazing also has a fundamental importance in Paolo's work, creating the transparencies and translucencies he seeks. In short, his work encompasses modern composition and formal elements without abandoning key classical components.
Paolo is represented in Laguna Beach by the Laguna Gallery of Contemporary Art - LGOCA
- November 2015 : Group Show at First Street Gallery, NYC , NY, USA
- June 2015 : Sing For Hope NYC : PIANOs Operation 2015. Painted a piano for them, NYC , NY, USA
- May 2015 : Dance: Graphic Explorations for IDaCo Dance Festival at Sheen Theater - NYC , NY, USA
- June 2014 : Coastline Community College : Group Show Southern California Artists Association, Newport Beach, CA
- October-December 2013 : Laguna Beach City Hall Juried Exhibition, Laguna Beach, CA
- July-November 2013 : Wells Fargo-CAP Gallery : Group Show Southern California Artists Association, Laguna Beach, CA
- May 2013 : ASL-NY Outreach Program. Exhibition at A.T. Kearney Inc. New York, NY, USA;
- April 2013 : Participated at the Sing For Hope NYC : PIANOs Operation, to paint a piano for them; New York, NY, USA
- January 2013 : ArtaVita Gallery, Juried Online Art Show,(awarded Special Mention), Santa Barbara, CA
- December 2012 : ASL-NY Holiday Exhibition, group show (2 artworks sold), Art Students League of New York, NY, USA;
- April 2012 : ASL-NY show concours (Terence Coyle), group show, Art Students League of New York, NY, USA;
- March 2012 : ASL-NY show concours (Frank O'Cain), group show, Art Students League of New York, NY, USA (awarded "Blue Dot", Special Mention);
- December 2011 : ASL-NY Holiday Exhibition, group show, Art Students League of New York, NY, USA;
- July 2011 : Night of a Hundred Angels, group show, Whelean Galleries, Laguna Beach, CA, USA;
- May 2011 : ASL-NY show concours (Gary Sussman), group show, Art Students League of New York, NY, USA;
- April 2011 : ASL-NY show concours (Terence Coyle), group show, Art Students League of New York, NY, USA (awarded "Blue Dot", Special Mention);
- February 2011 : ASL-NY show concours (Frank O'Cain), group show, Art Students League of New York, NY, USA (awarded "Blue Dot", Special Mention);
- December 2010 : ASL-NY Holiday Exhibition, group show, Art Students League of New York, NY, USA;
- February 2010 : Southern California Artist Association, solo show, Laguna Beach, CA, USA;
- March 2006 : Accademia del Vedere, group show, Trieste, ITALY;